A team-by-team breakdown of the AAC
Last yr’s report: 13-1, 8-0 AAC
- With QB Desmond Ridder off to the NFL, sophomore Evan Prater will compete for the beginning job. Ohio’s “Mr. Football” in 2019, Prater will battle transfer Ben Bryant, who’s again after a season at Eastern Michigan.
- Notable departures additionally embody AAC DPOY CB Ahmad Gardner and RB Jerome Ford, DL Curtis Brooks, DE Myjai Sanders, LB Darrian Beavers, LB Joel Dublanko, CB Coby Bryant and S Bryan Cook.
- New offensive coordinator Gino Guidugli replaces Mike Denbrock, who left for LSU.
Last yr’s report: 7-5, 5-3 AAC
- Key departures on offense embody two of the staff’s high WRs in Tyler Snead and Audie Omotosho, each of whom turned professional.
- To substitute Snead and Omotosho, the Pirates added Toledo grad switch Isaiah Winstead and Georgia switch Jaylen Johnson.
- A loss on protection is CB Ja’Quan McMillian, who began 29 of 33 video games performed in three years. He was a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which honors the nation’s high defensive again.
Last yr’s report: 12-2, 8-0 AAC
- ProFootballNetwork ranked all 131 FBS beginning QBs and put Clayton Tune third general. After throwing for 3,546 yards and 30 touchdowns final yr, the senior is again for extra.
- Tune’s high goal from a yr in the past, WR Nathaniel Dell of Daytona Beach, is again after main the AAC in receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions.
- A notable departure consists of Marcus Jones, who received the 2021 Paul Hornung Award given yearly to probably the most versatile participant in main school soccer.
Last yr’s report: 6-6, 3-5 AAC
- OC Kevin Johns left for a similar place at Duke. He’s changed by Tim Cramsey from Marshall.
- DC Mike MacIntyre was named head coach at FIU. His spot is stuffed by Ohio State secondary coach Matt Barnes, who took over defensive play-calling duties from Kerry Coombs after three video games final season.
- A key addition on offense is Northern Illinois RB Jevyon Ducker, the 2021 MAC Freshman of the Year.
Last yr’s report: 4-8, 3-5 AAC
- The largest departure on protection is first-team all-conference linebacker Diego Fagot, who had 94 tackles final season. He obtained clearance from the Department of Defense to pursue the NFL.
- QB Tai Lavatai returns after making 10 begins final season as a sophomore. He threw for 449 yards and picked up one other 371 on the bottom.
- The Midshipmen have solely received 7 video games mixed within the final two seasons after ending 11-2 in 2019.
Last yr’s report: 8-4, 4-4 AAC
- SMU coach Sonny Dykes changed longtime TCU head coach Gary Patterson, who stepped down final season.
- Rhett Lashlee left the Miami Hurricanes as OC and is again at SMU as the brand new head coach. He served as OC right here when the Mustangs averaged virtually 500 yards in 2019.
- A key departure is beginning RB Ulysses Bentley IV, who transferred to Ole Miss. SMU reloaded at RB with Alabama’s Camar Wheaton, who was a 5-star prospect within the 2021 recruiting class.
Last yr’s report: 3-9, 1-7 AAC
- The Owls fired head coach Rod Carey and employed Stan Drayton, who spent the final 5 years at Texas as affiliate head coach and working backs coach.
- Former Georgia QB D’Wan Mathis, who threw for greater than 1,200 yards for Temple final season, will battle North Dakota State switch and dual-threat QB Quincy Patterson for the beginning job.
- WR Randle Jones is a key departure on offense after main the staff in receiving yards, landing catches and receptions.
Last yr’s report: 2-10, 1-7 AAC
- OC Chip Long left for a similar job at Georgia Tech after only one season in New Orleans. He’s changed by Jim Svoboda, who resigned as Central Missouri head coach.
- The Green Wave misplaced multiyear starter DL Jeffery Johnson, who transferred to Oklahoma, however added DL Patrick Jenkins from TCU the place he performed in all 12 video games a yr in the past.
- Tulane additionally will miss punter Ryan Wright, who earned first-team all-conference honors final season.
Last yr’s report: 7-6, 5-3 AAC
- Tulsa defensive coordinator Joseph Gillespie left for TCU. Luke Olson, who labored carefully with Gillespie, was promoted from nickel safeties coach.
- DT Jaxon Player, who led Tulsa with 15 TFLs, transferred to Baylor. Other key losses alongside the DL embody multiyear starters Tyarise Stevenson and Cullen Wick.
- Okay Zack Long led the nation in area purpose share (95.7%) by making 22 of 23, together with a 50-yarder. He’s solely missed two additional factors in his school profession.
Last yr’s report: 9-4, 5-3 AAC
Last yr’s report: 2-10, 1-7 AAC
- South Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis Jr. departed for Ole Miss. He’s changed by Travis Trickett, who most just lately served as the within receivers/tight ends coach at West Virginia.
- The Bulls fired defensive coordinator Glenn Spencer, after they allowed 501 yards to a one-win Tulane in an embarrassing 45-14 defeat late final season, and employed veteran coach Bob Shoop to fill the position.
- A notable addition on offense is Baylor switch QB Gerry Bohanon. He began 12 of 14 video games and totaled 2,523 yards of offense with 27 touchdowns final yr for the Bears.