A timeline of occasions within the Miami Dolphins’ tampering scandal
After six months of investigating claims of violating the integrity of the sport, the NFL concluded that the Dolphins have been engaged in an egregious violation of tampering guidelines. These “impermissible communications” concerned star quarterback Tom Brady and Super Bowl-winning coach Sean Payton and spanned three years.
Here is a timeline of key occasions within the Dolphins’ tampering scandal:
▪ The Dolphins’ “impermissible communications” with Tom Brady begins when he’s a member because the New England Patriots, the league’s investigation discovered. These discussions are performed by Dolphins vice chairman Bruce Beal and continued all through the common season and postseason.
▪ The Dolphins have impermissible communications with Brady and his agent throughout and after the 2021 season, now with Brady a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the investigation discovered. The discussions deal with Brady changing into a restricted companion or govt in Miami and in addition embrace the potential for enjoying for the Dolphins. Both Beal and Dolphins proprietor Stephen Ross are concerned in these discussions, the investigation concluded.
▪ The Dolphins have impermissible communications with Don Yee, the agent for coach Sean Payton, about Payton changing into the crew’s subsequent head coach. The league’s investigation discovered these conversations are performed earlier than Payton’s retirement in February and the New Orleans Saints didn’t give their consent. The Dolphins fireplace former coach Brian Flores on January 11, at some point after the common season ended.
▪ Flores information a sweeping lawsuit, accusing the NFL and a number of groups, together with the Dolphins, of racial discrimination. He additionally alleges Ross tried to provoke a gathering in opposition to league guidelines with a “prominent quarterback” — later decided to be Brady — within the winter of 2020.
▪ In a memo despatched to NFL groups, Goodell on Feb. 5 says the league will look into Flores’ claims. Goodell wrote that the league “take[s] seriously any issue relating to the integrity of NFL game. Those matters will be reviewed thoroughly and independently. We expect that those independent experts will receive full cooperation from everyone associated with the league or any member club as this work proceeds.”
▪ The Dolphins on Feb. 6 announce the hiring of Mike McDaniel because the crew’s subsequent head coach. Media experiences later declare the crew meant to pursue Payton as head coach however determined in opposition to it after Flores’ lawsuit.
▪ The NFL on Tuesday releases the findings of its six-month impartial investigation. Goodell calls the Dolphins’ violation of the league’s anti-tampering coverage “of unprecedented scope and severity.” The league docks the crew its 2023 first-round decide and a third-round decide within the 2024 NFL Draft. Ross is suspended by Oct. 17 and fined $1.5 million. Beal is suspended from all league conferences for the remainder of the 2022 season and fined $500,000.
Comments are closed.