Can You Apply Roof Resealing or Roof Coating Process during Winter Types and How to Do It? – Political Triangle
Though it is not impossible to start the roof treatment process in winter, it is a very difficult path to walk on. During winter, you need to look after some weather conditions before applying any roof treatment. You need to take into account various factors including the proper storage of the products. You should take care of the temperature of the roof surface, condition, and color to the temperature of the air before, during, and after the application.
Conditions To Be Checked
- Air temperature should be at a minimum temperature of 55 degrees F with temperatures rising within the next 24 hours.
- Roof coating application is best to start during the early morning and finish in the afternoon. Make sure you allow a minimum of four hours under the sun for the sealants to cure the damage.
- Always check the weather conditions before applying the coating and never apply the coating if rain is expected within 24 to 48 hours.
- When temperatures do not drop below 55 degrees F in the evening and rain is also not expected, the weather conditions are suitable for installing a roof coating system during the winter.
Besides the temperature and the weather conditions, other factors are also to be considered
- Fog and dew can damage the coatings from curing properly and therefore should be avoided
- A Minimum of 8 years and a maximum of 24 hours are required for completely drying the base and top coats, depending on the weather conditions. Roof coating systems should not be applied if the weather does not allow drying before exposure or freezing.
- The base coatings must be stored between temperatures 40 degrees F to 90 degrees F. The sealants or the coatings should not be kept on the rooftop when temperatures are expected to drop below 45 degrees F.
The roofing services in Southern Maryland allow the roof coatings to be applied in cold winter months. Let us check the sealants which are to be applied during the cold winter months.
- Acrylics- This is a water-based coating that is improperly dried or frozen if kept under low temperatures for an extended period. Once frozen, they are of no use. Thus temperature is a major factor that should always be taken into account for storing the roof coating properly.
- Urethanes Or Silicones- There may be roofing systems that have urethanes or Silicones coating. The coatings are solvent-based and can handle cold temperatures during the drying process. If not stored properly, these roof coatings may get thickened. The coatings should be stored within a minimum temperature of 70 degrees F. If they are being stored on the rooftop, they should be covered with the black tarp so that the dark color absorbs the heat of the Sun and keeps moisture away.
When you have decided to apply the roof coatings during winter or it is very urgent, you should take proper preparations and precautions. The temperature and the weather forecast should be taken into consideration before the application of the roof coating.
Comments are closed.