Hyde5: Five keys to Dolphins win in opposition to Ravens
It’s Week 2 in Baltimore, and listed here are 5 keys for the Miami Dolphins to start out the season 2-0:
1. The Dolphins defensive entrance dominates. The protection had a powerful day final week in opposition to New England, and a few items are in place for them to take action once more. Baltimore prefers two-running-back packages and a bodily sport. But does it have the personnel? It’s down their third-string left deal with if Ronnie Stanley (listed as uncertain after being out since final yr) doesn’t return to hitch former Dolphin Ja’Wuan James (Achilles) on the sideline. That’s a superb beginning place to trigger issues. Emmanuel Ogbah performs proper finish. Brandon Jones blindsided Mac Jones from there final week. Plus, whereas the Ravens favor that bodily offense, that they had simply 11 speeding yards at halftime in opposition to the New York Jets final Sunday and 63 yards for the sport on 21 carries. That represented their worst speeding offense over the past 4 seasons when quarterback Lamar Jackson began. The Ravens would possibly get operating again J.Ok. Dobbins again on Sunday from damage early final yr. But this offensive line doesn’t appear like a typical Ravens line – particularly if their third-string deal with performs.
2. The Cheetah runs free. Baltimore’s secondary might be a large number, particularly if Pro Bowl cornerback Marlon Humphrey can’t go after a groin challenge in follow this week. It already misplaced cornerback Kyle Fuller (ACL), His alternative, Brandon Stephens, had a quadriceps challenge in follow Wednesday and in addition missed the remainder of the week. Marcus Peters hasn’t performed since 2020 however may return Sunday. The Ravens solely positive issues at cornerback are rookie fourth-round picks Damarion Williams and Jalyn Armour-Davis. This might be a superb likelihood for Tua Tagovailoa and his receiving corps to have a superb day, assuming …
3. Dolphins tackles Terron Armstead and Greg Little are tremendous. Armstead got here out for a few performs within the opener’s fourth quarter, however he’s anticipated to play Sunday. Little replaces injured Austin Jackson at proper deal with. If Little seems like he did within the preseason finale in opposition to Philadelphia (admittedly the Eagle reserves), the Dolphins might be in good condition. It may not even be a lot of a drop-off from Jackson. One factor to observe: The Ravens like their re-done inside defensive position with Justin Madubuike and Broderick Washington becoming a member of Calais Campbell.
4. Keep Lamar Jackson beneath wraps. This sport has maybe the 2 most electrical gamers within the league in Hill and Jackson. The Baltimore quarterback stated he didn’t deal with the blitz-heavy packages thrown at him by the Dolphins in his November loss final yr at Hard Rock Stadium. He was sacked 5 instances and his offense scored simply 10 factors. He grew up in Boca Raton, too, so the hometown sport means one thing to him. The prime weapon the Dolphins used was 24 defensive-back blitzes. You’d anticipate Jackson to be extra ready this time. It’ll be attention-grabbing to see how Dolphins defensive coordinator Josh Boyer counters – if in any respect.
5. Don’t let it’s a kicking sport. The Dolphins have a superb kicker in Jason Sanders. Baltimore’s Justin Tucker has the most effective kicker in NFL historical past. He makes 91 p.c of his makes an attempt. He hit a 66-yard area purpose final week. He’s reached 300 area purpose faster than anybody in league historical past. We can go on and on about his numbers, however let’s simply say if it involves Tucker making a area purpose on the finish he’s going to make it.
Prediction. Baltimore 26, Miami 24. Note: This prediction was made earlier than Baltimore misplaced its two beginning cornerbacks in follow this week. If they’ll’t play …
Comments are closed.