Naim’s New Classic Series Unleashes Reference Quality Streaming and Power – The Alike
Naim Audio launched in 1973 with the simple aim of allowing music listeners to experience music in its purest form; that quest also included a strong emphasis on pace, rhythm, attack, and timing. That ethos has been at the core of every Naim component and continues with the New Classic Series for 2023.
- NSC 222 Streaming Pre-amplifier
- NAP 250 power amplifier (new generation)
- NPX 300 upgraded power supply
The Classic range is designed, engineered, and handcrafted in England. The new models provide a new level of sophistication while still being easy to use. These units can also be used with existing Naim components (contact Naim if you have questions).
The infamous Naim “stack” seems to be a thing of the past for many Naim loyalists and products such as the Uniti Atom and NSC 222 are proof that the brand is evolving — even with the launch of the new NPX 300 UPS.
From Steve Sells, Head of Engineering (Hardware) for Naim Audio: “From designing in our best-ever performance at this level to added features and flexibility to eco-friendly elements – New Classic products use less than 0.5W in standby – we’ve combined our 50 years of experience with the very latest technology to redefine home hi-fi…”
NSC 222 Streaming Pre-Amplifier
The NSC 222 streaming two-channel pre-amplifier illustrates Naim’s goal of being easy to use without compromising music quality.
The NSC 222 provides access to Spotify, Tidal (including Tidal Connect), Qobuz, Apple Music, internet radio, AirPlay 2, Chromecast, UPnP servers, USB attached storage and supports bitrates up to 32-bit/384kHz. Bluetooth (aptX) is also supported. Multi-room capability with other Naim streaming products is also included.
The NSC 222 includes a dedicated MM phono stage.
The NSC 222 incorporates configurable inputs (sensitivity pre-set, naming, AV bypass mode, and unused input disabling).
Tip: The NSC 222 is Roon-ready.
The NSC 222 also includes Naim’s latest headphone technology as featured in the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition. No matter what headphones you use, you will get the best listening experience possible.
Another great feature is the 5.5-inch full-color front panel screen, which displays album art, track information, operational status, and more.
The NSC 222 include the TI PCM1791A DAC (running in external filter mode) followed by discrete transistor class A op-amps and filters. Custom polystyrene ultralow dielectric absorption Post DAC filter components.
The NSC 222 also has two power supplies with 0.5W power consumption when in standby mode.
The NSC 222 can be controlled via the Focal & Naim App, the smart Zigbee remote-control handset (no line of sight required), or via onboard controls (this includes an illuminated volume control)
NAP 250 Power Amp
To support the NSC 222 preamplifier, Naim has introduced the sixth generation of its NAP 250 two-channel Class A/B power amp to drive the speakers of your system. The new generation model is designed to deliver more power, better performance, and additional system-matching flexibility.
The new NAP 250 incorporates a 100W per channel dual-mode design, with full power regulation, and volume responsive heatsink.
Other new features include true balanced XLR connections, as well as trickle-down technology from Naim’s flagship Statement amplifier, including an eddy-current circuit breaker between the speaker outputs.
Tip: The NAP 250 can be used with several existing Naim products via the legacy range of cables.
Separate DR PSUs (Discrete Regulator Sound Processing Units) are included for the power amplifier, including the XLR input stage.
Eight NA009 Naim designed power transistors as developed for Statement (4 for the PSUs and 4 for the output stages). Each power transistor is mounted on ceramic insulators for ultra-low capacitive coupling.
A new triple transistor constant current source (CCS) in the delicate gain stage – uses a newly developed CCS for improved sound quality.
20-minute auto power-off support for legacy systems is provided, as well as a wake function when detecting music (auto-off can be disabled).
The included dual power supply provides a soft start-up sequence as well as a 0.5W standby power.
NPX 300 Power Supply
Take your musical experience to the next level with the NPX 300 power supply: an instant upgrade for the NSC 222 streaming pre-amplifier. It disables and bypasses the internal power supply of the compatible Naim component it is connected to – immediately reducing the noise floor further still – providing superior clean power.
The NPX 300 provides an instant power supply upgrade for Naim 200 & 300 Series sources and pre-amplifiers.
The NPX 300 includes two internal power supplies.
- One: Audiophile linear type, based on a large toroidal transformer.
- Two: Highly efficient SMPSU (Switch Mode Power Supply Unit) for 0.5W power consumption when in standby mode.
Tip: The NPX-300 is compatible with select NAIM legacy products such as the NDX2 and NAC N272 (legacy cable required).
Pricing & Availability
- NSC 222 – $8,999 USD / $11,999 CAD
- NAP 250 – $8,999 USD / $11,999 CAD
- NPX 300 – $8,999 USD / $11,999 CAD
Available sometime in January 2023 via Focal/Naim Stores and Authorized Dealers.
For more information: naimaudio.com/product/range/new-classic
NSC 222 Specifications
- 1 x moving magnet phono
- 1 x 8-pin DIN (compatible with 5-pin DIN cables)
- 1 x RCA stereo pair
- Line level inputs (RCA/DIN): Impedance 47k, 2.2V typical, 7.5Vrms Max
- 8 pin DIN has +/-18V for compatible external phono stages such as
- Solstice NVC-TT. Compatible with 5 pin DIN
- MM phono: 47k/470pF, 5mV, 23dB overload (75mV max)
Analog Audio Outputs
- 1 x XLR pair (Stereo XLR balanced impedance 7Vrms max)
- 1 x RCA pair (Stereo RCA 7Vrms max)
- 1 x 6.35mm headphone jack (Headphone 1.5W into 16)
USB: 2 x USB Type A socket (front and rear – 1.6A charge)
Digital inputs (S/PDIF)
- 2 x Optical TOSLINK (up to 24bit/96kHz)
- 1 x coaxial RCA (up to 24bit/192kHz, DoP 64Fs)
- 1 x coaxial BNC (up to 24bit 192kHz, DoP 64Fs)
- WAV – up to 32bit/384kHz
- FLAC and AIFF – up to 24bit/384Hz
- ALAC (Apple Lossless) – up to 24bit/384Hz • MP3 – up to 48kHz, 320kbit (16 bit)
- AAC – up to 48kHz, 320kbit (16 bit)
- OGG and WMA – up to 48kHz (16 bit)
- DSD – 64 and 128Fs
- M4A – up to 48kHz, 320kbit (16 bit)
- Gapless playback supported on all formats
- Pre-amplifier at max volume 15.5dB (with max Vol and max volume limit at 100%)
- Phono stage MM 40dB
Digital level: 2.1V at 0dBFS volume at 0dB
- MM: -3dB at 10Hz, RIAA +/-0.1dB
- Line: 3Hz to 40kHz -3dB
- Digital: 3Hz to 27kHz -3dB
Signal to noise ratio
- MM 80dB ref 5mV A-wtd volume at 0dB
- Line 104dB ref 2.2V A-wtd volume at 0dB
- Digital 102dB ref 0dBFS A-wtd volume at 0dB
- MM: < noise floor
- Line: 0.0025% @2.2V input volume at 0dB, 1kHz
- (Line: 0.015% @2.2V input volume at 0dB, 20kHz)
- Digital: 0.0035% @0dBFS volume at 0dB, 1kHz
- MM: 90dB at 1kHz, volume at 0dB
- Line: 90dB at 1kHz, volume at 0dB
- (Line: 70dB at 20kHz, volume at 0dB)
- Digital: 90dB at 1kHz, volume at 0dB
- App control (iOS and Android), bi-directional ZigBee remote and front panel
- Optical 3.5mm output for synchronised control of compatible products e.g. NAP 250/350
Power & Size
- Network: Ethernet (10/100Mbps), Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n/ac)
- Typical use consumption: 25W
- Network standby mode consumption: <2W
Standby mode consumption: <0.5W
- Mains Supply: 115V or 230V, 50/60Hz
- Dimensions: 35/8x17x121/2″ (9.15×43.2×31.75cm)
- Weight: 24.25lbs (11kg)
NAP 250 Specifications
- Type: Amplifier
- Power output:
- 100 Watts 8 @0.1% THD+N (100W @0.1%)
- 190 Watts 4 @1% THD+N
- Gain: +29dB
- 2 x True balanced via XLR, 47k
- 34k singled ended via legacy adaptor lead
- Frequency response: -3dB @ 1.4Hz to 100kHz
- Passive consumption: 26W (idle)
- Standby consumption: <0.5W
- Mains supply: 115V or 230V, 50/60Hz
- Peak current into 1 (1kHz 1mS): 300 Watts 2 @1% THD+N
- THD+N at 2/3rds full power 8 @1kHz: +/-28 amps peak (780W peak power) 0.013%
- Input signal for clipping: 1V RMS
- Signal to noise ratio ref 100W 8 A-weighted: 91dB
- Signal to noise ratio ref 1W 8 A-weighted: 111dB
- Cross talk: 60dB
- Damping factor into 8: 36
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 35/8x17x121/2″ (9.15×43.2×31.75cm)
- Weight: 37.04lbs (16.8kg)
NPX 300 Specifications
- Type: Power supply
- Standby Power Consumption: <0.5W
- Power Supply Output: Type 3, Type 4
- Other Connectors: Micro USB (update only)
- Naim Logo: White illuminated
- Mains Supply: 115V or 230V, 50/60Hz
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 35/8x17x121/2″ (9.15 x 43.2 x 31.75cm)
- Weight: 31.75lbs (14.4kg)
Comments are closed.