Reps. Rashida Tlaib, Andy Levin Arrested In Abortion Rights Protest In Front Of US Supreme Court
(CNN/CBS DETROIT) — Reps. Rashida Tlaib and Andy Levin have been amongst 16 Democratic members of Congress arrested by Capitol Police on Tuesday afternoon as a part of an abortion rights protest in entrance of the Supreme Court.
Wearing specially-made inexperienced bandanas with “Won’t Back Down,” they marched from the Capitol to the Court, which has been fenced off for weeks, since shortly after the leak of the draft choice overturning Roe v. Wade.
READ MORE: Michigan Reports 16,445 New COVID-19 Cases, 149 Deaths Over The Last Week
Within two minutes of their arrival, police started ordering them to “cease and desist.” Instead, they sat on the road, and have been one after the other led off by officers as they chanted, “The people, united, will never be divided.”
The U.S. Capitol Police tweeted: “Demonstrators are starting to block First Street, NE. It is against the law to block traffic, so officers are going to give our standard three warnings before they start making arrests.”
READ MORE: Automakers Targeting Average Households With New Crop Of EVs
Capitol Police later mentioned they arrested 34 individuals whole, together with 16 members of Congress. Those arrests have been for crowding, obstructing or incommoding of the District of Columbia code.
Among these arrested:
- Assistant Speaker Katherine Clark of Massachusetts
- Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts
- Barbara Lee of California
- Jackie Speier of California
- Sara Jacobs of California
- Ilhan Omar of Minnesota
- Bonnie Watson Coleman of New Jersey
- Andy Levin of Michigan
- Rashida Tlaib of Michigan
- Jan Schakowsky of Illinois
- Madeline Dean of Pennsylvania
- Cori Bush of Missouri
- Carolyn Maloney of New York
- Nydia Velazquez of New York
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York
- Alma Adams of North Carolina
MORE NEWS: MDOT Reminds Drivers I-94 In Detroit Will Be Closed For 7 Days Starting July 22
The-CNN-Wire™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.