Seahawks’ Alton Robinson is studying to belief himself and is finished ‘trying to do too much’
RENTON — Alton Robinson isn’t one of many new gamers to Seattle’s roster like free agent signee Uchenna Nwosu or second-round choose Boye Mafe whom the Seahawks are relying on to revive their go rush in 2022.
But in a way, Robinson considers himself a brand new participant this 12 months, having not solely shed some weight but in addition a philosophy that he felt at occasions weighed him down a 12 months in the past.
And reducing 15 kilos from his listed 259 and enjoying with a freer thoughts has turned him into one of many early standouts of Seahawks coaching camp.
“Another guy who has really surprised us is Alton Robinson,” coach Pete Carroll stated lately. “Alton came back in a different body type, he lost about 15 pounds, but is really stout, strong, and explosive. He’s done a nice job starting up camp so far.”
Robinson was one thing of a shock within the different path in his second season within the NFL in 2021.
Robinson made 4 sacks as a rookie in 2020 after arriving as a fifth-round pick of Syracuse, one within the fourth quarter of the 20-9 win over the Rams that clinched the NFC West title, stamping himself as participant who regarded like he might be an much more important contributor in 2021.
Instead, Robinson made only one sack final 12 months.
And whereas Robinson’s enjoying time grew to become a closely debated subject amongst Seahawks followers, lack of use wasn’t actually the explanation for Robinson’s statistical drop-off.
He performed 371 snaps in 16 video games in 2021 in comparison with 336 in 14 as a rookie, and that included getting sparing use in two early-season video games when he handled a minor knee damage.
Instead, Robinson candidly admits he simply didn’t play as effectively.
“I think at times I was trying to do too much,” Robinson stated. “I just have to trust myself and my instincts because as Pete always says, we are good enough. … This game is never going to be perfect, and I had a thing where I was always trying to be right. And I realized you are never going to always be right. If I end up on the ball, then I’m right.”
A local of Converse, Texas — about 15 miles from San Antonio — Robinson stated he additionally took a special strategy to his offseason, saying he determined to be “more disciplined” along with his food regimen.
“I didn’t hit the barbecue joints as much,” he stated with a smile.
Robinson stated he determined to drop the burden as a result of he felt there have been some areas of his sport final 12 months that have been “restricted” at his previous weight.
“Let’s see what I can do to get those unlocked,” he stated he determined.
Specifically, whereas Robinson is listed as a defensive finish, he’s extra precisely now an out of doors linebacker within the 3-4 scheme that Seattle will emphasize extra this 12 months beneath first-year defensive coordinator Clint Hurtt. And as such, Robinson shall be requested at occasions to drop into go protection and being a bit lighter afoot received’t damage.
Robinson stated he dropped into protection sometimes at Syracuse however by no means needed to be “as detail-oriented as I am now” in studying the nuances of it.
“I’m still learning,” he stated. “But I like it.”
As for the way the remainder of his position would possibly change this 12 months? Robinson says nothing apart from that “I will be in the mix a little bit more.”
And, he hopes, in opponent backfield extra, as effectively.
- There was no actual change in how the quarterbacks have been used Wednesday. Geno Smith went nearly solely behind the No. 1 offensive line and Drew Lock behind the No. 2 line, however with every once more working with all receivers/tight ends/operating backs as these gamers are mixing and matching to get work with each QBs. However, Lock did get one collection behind the No. 1 line and Smith one collection behind the No. 2 line.
- Lock and Smith every had good moments early in observe, particularly throughout a crimson zone session. Each threw TDs on consecutive performs in that session, with Smith’s going to DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett and each of Lock’s going to Lockett. Neither threw an interception.
- Jacob Eason, nonetheless working completely with the third staff, made one in all his greatest throws of camp close to the tip of observe when he hit Cade Johnson for a couple of 50-yard TD.
- Jake Curhan labored as the correct deal with with the beginning offensive line for the second straight day. He is battling with rookie Abraham Lucas for the beginning spot at that place. Lucas once more was with the second staff.
- Cornerback Artie Burns, who injured his groin in observe Tuesday, didn’t observe on Wednesday. Carroll didn’t speak to the media so there have been no particular damage updates, however Carroll had indicated on Tuesday that Burns had an damage that may take a bit little bit of time to heal. Cornerbacks Sidney Jones IV (concussion) and John Reid (groin) additionally stay out. The accidents meant that Tariq Woolen once more acquired the reps with the beginning offense at proper cornerback with Coby Bryant and Michael Jackson just about splitting the reps on the left aspect — Bryant, lined up first at that when the first-team protection first took the sphere, however Jackson rotated in all through.
- To add depth on the nook spot, the Seahawks signed free agent Jameson Houston. Houston, who performed at Florida A&M, noticed motion in three video games with the Eagles in 2020, with 22 snaps total on protection, in keeping with Pro Football Reference. Houston performed for the Michigan Panthers for the USFL earlier this 12 months. He acquired some snaps Wednesday in staff drills at proper nook. Seattle minimize offensive lineman Keenan Forbes to make room for Houston on the roster.
- Receivers Freddie Swain and Marquise Goodwin every sat out Wednesday for undisclosed causes. Carroll will handle the media on Thursday to present damage and personnel updates so there was no speedy phrase on the difficulty with both, or in the event that they have been simply getting relaxation days. Dee Eskridge (hamstring) stays out.
- The Seahawks are additionally battling depth points at linebacker with Jordyn Brooks (hamstring), Iggy Iyiegbuniwe and Lakiem Williams (every undisclosed) all out on Wednesday. That had Nick Bellore seeing important time at linebacker in observe Wednesday, at one level dropping about 10 yards deep to interrupt up a Lock go. Bellore is listed as each a fullback and linebacker by the Seahawks, having begun his profession as a linebacker and beginning 10 video games for the 49ers at that spot in 2016.