Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Week 7 SuperWest CFB Notes
Posted on October 14, 2022
A little bit lighter schedule this week as we have bye weeks for Arizona State, Oregon and UCLA in the Pac-12.
The Ducks and Bruins get an equal amount of rest ahead of their matchup in a week. Boise State and San Diego State also get the week off.
The marque game of the week is in Salt Lake City where USC will face their first ranked opponent in Utah.
Also, in the Beehive State, an SEC team will visit Provo for just the third time ever when BYU hosts Arkansas.
A pair of trophies are up for grabs this weekend: In Fresno, the Bulldogs will host San Jose State for the Valley Trophy.
And Stanford will make the short trip east on I-80 (or maybe the long flight above I-80) to South Bend, where they will meet the Irish for the Legends Trophy.
A California school, and maybe not the school you’re thinking of, will look to extend a streak that is the longest in the nation.
And they will look to do it against an opponent who also has a streak that is the longest in the country, just not a good streak.
Here is a look at some notes for our slate of games.
California Golden Bears (3-2, 1-1) at Colorado Buffaloes (0-5, 0-2)
11:00 am PT, Pac-12 Network
Series: Cal leads 7-4
California Golden Bears
- Cal has recorded a takeaway in 18 straight games, the longest active streak in the nation.
- The Bears have the fewest fumbles lost (8) and turnovers (30) among FBS teams since the beginning of 2019.
- California is 8-4 against the spread in their last 12 games.
- Cal has gone just 1-9 in their last 10 road games.
- Seven of the Bears’ last 10 Pac-12 games have seen the under hit.
- Jaydn Ott is averaging 106.6 yards per game on the ground, the most of any freshman in the nation this season, it is 14th in the nation among all players.
- J’Michael Sturdivant is fourth nationally among freshmen with 59.2 yards receiving per game.
- Jaydn Ott ranks sixth in the NCAA with 7.3 yards per rush.
- Jack Plummer has thrown 135 passes without being intercepted; the Cal record is 185 straight passes by Jared Goff in 2014.
- Colorado’s six-game losing streak is the longest active streak in the nation.
- The Buffs are 1-11 in their last 12 October games.
- Colorado is the only winless team in FBS.
- The Buffaloes have been outscored 51-7 this season in the third quarter.
- In the first quarter this year the Buffs have seen opponent outscore them 54-10.
- Colorado has failed to cover in any of their last five games.
- The Buffaloes are 3-6 against the spread in their last nine in Boulder.
- The Buffs have converted a first down on 70% of their runs on third and short.
- Colorado is getting just 3.6 TFL per game, 126th in the nation.
- The Buffs are second to last in the nation with .60 sacks per game.
Arkansas Razorbacks (3-3, 1-3) at BYU Cougars (4-2)
12:30 pm PT, ESPN
Series: First Meeting
- Under head coach Sam Pittman, the Razorbacks are a perfect 7-0 against non-conference opponents. Pittman is the first Arkansas head coach since Lou Holtz (1977-78) to win his first seven games against non-conference foes.
- Arkansas is averaging 233.8 rushing yards per game, which ranks third in the SEC and 11th in the country.
- The Razorbacks are 1-4 against the spread in their last five games.
- Arkansas leads the SEC and ranks 12th nationally with 21 sacks.
- Under Sam Pittman, Arkansas has gained 400+ total yards of offense in 20 of 29 games and rushed for 200+ yards in 16 of 29 games.
- Drew Sanders is second in the nation with 1.08 sacks per game.
- KJ Jefferson is 12th in the nation with a fourth-quarter completion rate of 77.8%
- Jefferson leads the nation with a QB rating of 257.85 in the fourth quarter.
- The Hogs have scored 30+ points in 12 of KJ Jefferson’s 20 career starts at quarterback.
- Raheim Sanders is ninth nationally with 115.8 rushing yards per game.
- Bumper Pool’s 409 total tackles in his career are the second most of any active player in the nation.
- BYU is 4-6 all-time vs SEC opponents.
- BYU is 9-3 in their last 12 October games.
- The Cougars have outscored opponents 58-23 in the first quarter this season.
- The Cougs are hosting an SEC team for just the third time ever as Arkansas joins Mississippi State in visiting Provo. MSU came in 2016 and 2000 (Texas A&M played at BYU in 1996, but as a Big 12 opponent).
- BYU has lost just two turnovers this year, ranking third nationally.
- The Cougars are 25th nationally in passing yards allowed at 190 per game.
- The over has hit in six of BYU’s last eight games.
- Max Tooley’s three interceptions this season are tied for the most in the nation by a LB.
- Jaren Hall has thrown for 250+ in 11 of his last 13 games.
- Ryan Rehkow has placed five of his 19 punts this season inside the 20.
Arizona Wildcats (3-3, 1-2) at Washington Huskies (4-2, 1-2)
2:30 pm PT, Pac-12 Network
Series: Washington leads 24-11-1 and have a 15-4 lead in Seattle
- Arizona’s 3.5 TFLs per game is 128th in the nation.
- The Wildcats are just 2-18 in their last 20 Pac-12 games.
- Jacob Cowing is fourth in the nation with 7.7 receptions per game.
- Jacob Cowing has picked up a first down on 92.3% of his receptions on third down this season, the most of any receiver in the nation with at least 10 receptions.
- Jayden de Laura has converted a first down on 93.3% of his third-down completions, the best mark in the nation.
- Tetairoa McMillan has four receiving TDs, tied for the second most in the nation among freshmen this season.
- Tetairoa McMillan is second nationally among true freshman with 338 receiving yards.
- Jacob Cowing has at least one reception in 38 consecutive games, the second-longest active streak in the nation
- Jayden de Laura is 7-0 in his college career when throwing for 3+ touchdowns.
- Michael Wiley has scored a touchdown in 10 of his last 13 games
- Washington has won 17 of the last 25 between the teams. Huskies have won five in a row over Wildcats.
- The over has hit in nine of the last 13 between the teams.
- The over has hit six of the last seven games the Huskies have played.
- Michael Penix is second in the nation in passing yards per game with 340.7.
- Michael Penix Jr has thrown for at least 300 yards in all six games this season, six straight games of 200 or more yards are tied for third-most in UW history. Cody Pickett is the only Washington QB to throw for 300 yards or more in seven straight games.
- Ja’Lynn Polk has four receiving TDs, tied for the second most in the nation among freshmen this season.
- Rome Odunze is 11th in the nation with 7.0 receptions per game.
- Washington is allowing 3.0 TFLs per game, the fewest in the nation.
- Washington has punted in the first half just three times this year and has punted just 11 times all season.
- Only three UW quarterbacks have posted more 300-yard passing games, over their entire careers, than Penix has in his first six games with them.
Stanford Cardinal (1-4, 0-4) at Notre Dame Fighting Irish (3-2)
4:30 pm PT, NBC
Series: Fighting Irish hold a 22-13 edge; The Legends Trophy is up for grabs
- The Cardinal is 4-12 all-time in South Bend.
- Stanford’s 14 penalties this season are the fewest in the nation.
- The Cardinal have lost their last 11 games against FBS opponents.
- Stanford is just 1-11 against the spread in their last 12 games.
- The Cardinal is surrendering 4.0 sacks per game –128th of 131 FBS teams.
- This is just the second time in the last 12 meetings that neither team is ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 (2016 was the other occasion). In seven of the past 11 meetings, both teams were ranked in the top 25.
- David Shaw is 5-5 vs Notre Dame, just 1-4 in South Bend, however.
- Stanford is last in the nation in turnover margin at –2.2 per game.
- Tanner McKee has thrown for multiple TDs in nine games in his career.
- Brycen Tremayne is coming off his first career game with multiple TD receptions and a career-high 82 yards receiving.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- Notre Dame is 130th in the nation with 2.0 passes defended per game.
- The Irish are 10-3 against the spread in their last thirteen.
- Notre Dame ranks 18th in the country in sacks per game with a 3.0 average.
- Notre Dame is averaging 260.5 rushing yards per game since September 24. That average is seventh-best in the country for that time frame.
- Michael Mayer’s nine first-down receptions on third down this season are the fourth most in the nation.
- Drew Pyne has picked up a first down on 53.5% of his third-down pass attempts, the fifth-best mark in the nation.
- Drew Pyne is completing 71.4% of his third-down pass attempts this season, the 10th-best rate in the country.
- Michael Mayer is second nationally among TEs with 70.2 receiving yards per game, he leads TEs nationally with 6.6 receptions per game.
- Audric Estimé is averaging six yards per carry (49 carries, 307 yards) over the past three games.
No. 7 USC Trojans at No. 20 Utah Utes
5:00 pm PT, FOX
Series: USC holds a 13-7 record over Utah; the Utes are 4-3 vs the Trojans in Salt Lake City
- USC has outscored opponents 55-7 in the third quarter this season.
- USC leads the nation with 2.0 interceptions per game.
- On third and short (1-3 yards) this season USC has converted 92.9 percent of their runs, the second-best conversion rate in the nation.
- The Trojans are second in the nation defensively allowing a third-down conversion on just 28.6% of third and short rushes.
- USC leads the nation with a turnover margin of +2.33 per game.
- USC leads the nation with 4.0 sacks per game.
- The under has hit in four of Southern Cal’s last five on the road.
- Caleb Williams has converted a first down on 85.7% of his third-down completions, the fourth best rate in America.
- Calen Bullock leads the nation with 149 interception return yards this season.
- Travis Dye has converted a first down on all 10 of his rush attempts on third and short.
- Travis Dye has scored a TD in five consecutive games.
- Tuli Tuipulotu leads the nation with 2.1 TFL per game.
- Tuli Tuipulotu, leads the nation with 1.17 sacks per game.
- The Utes have won 11 straight games at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
- Utah has outscored opponents 92-26 in the second quarter this season.
- The Utes are allowing just 179.3 passing yards per game, the best mark in the Pac-12 and 19th in the nation.
- Utah is fourth in the nation with 1.67 interceptions per game.
- The Utes are 3-0 this season when they outrush their opponents.
- Utah is allowing just 0.83 sacks per game, 12th in the nation.
- Utah has 13 turnovers through six games, including 10 interceptions with the Utes ranking ninth in the FBS in turnovers gained.
- The Utes are 4-1 against the spread in their last five.
- The over has hit five of the last seven between these teams.
- Cameron Rising has picked up a first down on 51.5% of his third-down pass attempts, the seventh-best mark in the nation.
- Clark Phillips III is leading the nation with six interceptions this season.
- Dalton Kincaid leads all active tight ends in the FBS with 2,057 yards.
Washington State Cougars (4-2, 1-2) at Oregon State Beavers (4-2, 1-2)
6:00 pm PT, Pac-12 Network
Series: Washington State leads 56-47-3 all-time and have taken the last eight meetings
Washington State Cougars
- WSU is 25-23 all-time in Corvallis, has won the last four meetings
- The Cougars are converting a first down on just 37.5%, 121st in the nation.
- WSU is 5-2 against the spread in their last seven road games.
- Washington State is seventh in the nation with 8.17 tackles for loss per game.
- The Cougars are tied for 11th in the country with 19 sacks and their 49 TFLs are fourth in the nation.
- Cameron Ward is 15th in the nation with a completion percentage of 75.7% on first down this season.
- Last week Jaylen Jenkins recorded WSU’s first 100-yard rushing game by a true freshman since DeMaundray Woolridge in 2005.
- Robert Ferrel has caught a TD pass in three straight games.
- Daiyan Henley is second in the Pac-12 in tackles-for-loss (10), second in tackles (55), tied for fourth in sacks (4).
- Cameron Ward is tied for second in the Pac-12 in passing TD (15), and is third in the conference passing yardage (269.5).
- Jaden Hicks has had at least 10 tackles in three of his last four games.
Oregon State Beavers
- Last week was OSU’s first one-point win in a true road game since a 21-20 win at Washington in 1985.
- In the last 19 games the Beavers have allowed just 20 sacks.
- OSU has covered the spread in four of their last six.
- The over has hit in four of the Beavs last five games.
- Oregon State is 8-0 against the spread in their last eight home games.
- This season Oregon State is 17th in the nation allowing just 1.0 sacks per game.
- Tre’Shaun Harrison has 23 receptions for 355 yards over his last four games.
- In the last three games Harrison is averaging 15.6 yards per reception.
San Jose State Spartans (4-1, 2-0) at Fresno State Bulldogs (1-4, 0-1)
7:45 pm PT, FS1
Series: Fresno State leads 43-38-3 all-time; Battle for the Valley Trophy
San Jose State Spartans
- San Jose State is the only team in the nation that has not turned the ball over.
- The Spartans have outscored their opponents 107-29 over their last three games.
- San Jose State is sixth in the nation in pass defense allowing 156.0 per game.
- The Spartans are 5-1 against the spread in their last six.
- The under has come through in five of San Jose State’s last six.
- San Jose State is 5-0 against the spread in their last five played in October.
- The Spartans own a 64-14 second-quarter edge this season.
- Chevan Cordeiro has attempted 162 passes without an interception.
- Chevan Cordeiro is the first Spartan to win back-to-back MW weekly awards.
- The Spartans 33-point win over UNLV was the largest win over a conference opponent since joining the MW and it’s the largest win for the Spartans since 2012 when they beat New Mexico State 47-7.
- The last time SJSU beat a team with a winning record by as many as 33 points was 42-7 win over Fresno State in 1990.
Fresno State Bulldogs
- Fresno State is 10-2 in their last 12 at home vs the Spartans.
- Fresno State has been outscored 44-16 in the fourth quarter this season. They have been dead even in the first three quarters this season having scored 102 and allowed 102 points.
- The Bulldogs are 0-6 against the spread in their last six games.
- The under has been the play in six of Fresno’s last nine games.
- Logan Fife is 10th in the nation with a second-down completion percentage of 76.5%
- Jalen Moreno-Cropper has at least one reception in 28 straight games.
- Jordan Mims is nine for ten on third and short runs.
Follow Stephen on Twitter @StephenVilardo and his organization @SERCenter.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
Comments are closed.